Delve deep into Australian democracy.
Students further examine the democratic process in Australia. They learn about the Australian Constitution, the voting procedure for federal referendums and the role of the Senate in Australian democracy.
Students engage in an interactive federal referendum vote in which they learn about double majorities and proportional representation. They participate in a Senate role play, complete with costumes and props, to illustrate how bills that have passed the House of Representatives are examined and reviewed in the Senate before becoming laws. Students represent major, minor and independent parties and express their opinions in an open debate.
Booking this incursion includes assessment rubrics, follow-up resources, lessons plans, and professional development certificates for all attending teachers.
"Linked Incursions provided us with a great introduction to our Government Inquiry unit. The sessions were very engaging for the students, and provided them with excellent opportunities to participate in and really experience the systems within the Australian Government. Dan was a very personable presenter, the kids loved him and he had a great wealth of knowledge on the subject matter!"
Jeni, Solway Primary School
- We highly recommend students complete our Parliament Process incursion before participating in the Experts program. Please see our Parliament Package listing for more information.
- Suitable for Years 3 to 8.
- This incursion can be adapted for various year groups. Please contact us for more information.
- We require a large, unfurnished indoor area in which to run the incursion.
- One chair per student is required for this incursion.
- Linked Incursions provides all other necessary resources.
- Group sizes are limited to a maximum of 30 students.
- The incursion runs for 70 to 90 minutes.
Primary Stage 3 (Y5-6), Secondary Stage 4 (Y7-8)
Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Melbourne, Melton, Shepparton-Mooroopna, Warrnambool