Reflective of the training philosophy of the NIDA Higher Education program, NIDA workshops for secondary school students are practical, with emphasis on learning through doing.
Secondary School Workshops may be undertaken at NIDA or at your school. Workshops available include:
NIDA also offers HSC Seminars and HSC Drama Workshops.
Syllabus Links: VET Entertainment Training
Entertainment Workshops are suitable for students in years 10,11 and 12.
• The identification of lanterns and lights
• Rigging and patching lights
• Lighting design
• Operating a lighting desk
• Use of microphone, cables, amplifiers and speakers
• Operating a sound console
• Sound design
• Working with flats and rostra, simple rigging, using power tools and marking up.
Syllabus Links: Workshops can be tailored to meet curriculum outcomes in the Drama and English syllabuses.
Examples of workshops are listed below and each workshop is customised to meet the needs of your group. Workshops at NIDA include an additional half hour behind-the-scenes tour of theatres, rehearsal rooms and classrooms.
• Music theatre
• Physical theatre
• Screen acting
• Stage Combat
Performance Styles/Dramatic Context Workshops
• Commedia dell’Arte
• Le Coq
• Mask (Neutral or Basel mask)
• Political/protest theatre
• Realism (and Stanislavsky)
• Street and environmental theatre
• Costume and Set Design
• Make-up (Stage and screen)
• Video drama
Kindergarten, Primary Stage 1 (Y1-2), Primary Stage 2 (Y3-4), Primary Stage 3 (Y5-6), Secondary Stage 4 (Y7-8), Secondary Stage 5 (Y9-10), Secondary Stage 6 (Y11-12)